The Schitt Family are the founders and the unofficial "first family" of the town the bears their name, Schitt's Creek.
In the late nineteenth century, Horace Schitt founded the town of Schitt's Creek and became the first Mayor. Generations later and the family still have mayoral power in the town, due to everyone in Schitt's Creek having accepted the saying: "Who needs elections when you can keep having sons?". The current mayor and family patriarch is Roland Schitt, the fourth Schitt to be Mayor since his great-grandfather, Horace.
- Horace Schitt — Horace is Roland Schitt's great-grandfather, making him Mutt and Roland Moira Schitt's great-great grandfather. He was responsible for founding the town of Schitt's Creek.
- Roland Schitt — Roland is the father of Mutt and Roland Moira Schitt and the husband of Jocelyn Schitt. He is the current Mayor of Schitt's Creek.
- Jocelyn Schitt — Jocelyn is the mother of Mutt and Roland Moira Schitt and the wife of Roland Schitt. She is a history teacher at Schitt's Creek High School and the self-appointed leader of the all-female a cappella group, the Jazzagals.
- Mutt Schitt — Mutt is the son of Roland and Jocelyn Schitt and the former boyfriend of Alexis Rose.
- Roland Moira Schitt — Roland is the infant son of Roland and Jocelyn Schitt.
- It is tradition in the Schitt family to keep the gender of a new, unborn baby in the family a secret.
- This is tradition due to Roland Schitt's great great great great great grandmother correctly guessing the gender of her baby in Salem, Massachusetts and consequently being put on trial for being a witch.
- Roland Schitt is mentioned to have two cousins named Arnie and Lenny.