|“||This may come as a shock to you dear, but I don’t believe my career has been that kind to me. I all but perished in the name of an unrequited love for an industry that has burned me over and over again. I know you’ll want to fight me tooth and nail, John, but it’s time my career took it’s final bow.||”|
|— Moira Rose to Johnny regarding her acting career[src]|
"Smoke Signals" is the first episode in the sixth season of Schitt's Creek. It is the sixty-seventh episode overall.
David, Patrick, Stevie, and the last second addition of Alexis, are checking out Elmbridge Manor, a possible wedding venue, before they drop Alexis off at the airport for her flight to the Galapagos Islands, where she will meet Ted and where she will be staying for six months. David and Patrick love everything about the venue except the sky-high price. Clive, the venue manager, offers them a much reduced rate for a specific date which another couple booked but canceled. Beyond the imminent date and whether they wanted to rush the planning of the wedding to fit the date for one month later, David and Patrick have to decide whether the pros outweigh the biggest con: Alexis will still be away in the Galapagos. Other factors may ultimately come into play. Johnny was originally going to go with them to view the venue, but he felt he had to stay behind to take care of Moira, who has been in a semi-catatonic state for the past week upon learning that "The Crows Have Eyes III" has been permanently shelved, it which she was banking was going to be her comeback vehicle in the entertainment business. Something that happens gives Moira a different perspective on whether she was meant to return to the business.
- Eugene Levy as Johnny Rose
- Catherine O'Hara as Moira Rose
- Dan Levy as David Rose
- Annie Murphy as Alexis Rose
- Emily Hampshire as Stevie Budd
- Noah Reid as Patrick Brewer
- Chris Elliott as Roland Schitt
- Kerry Griffin as Officer Cornwall
- James Kall as Clive
- According to Alexis' online flight ticket, this episode is set on a Sunday, July 8.
- It is also interesting to note that this episode is set one week after the events of Life is a Cabaret; Therefore, that episode would be set on a Saturday, June 30 (This is supported by the playbill for Moira's Cabaret which states that the performance was on a Saturday).
- The dates of June 30 on a Saturday and July 8 on a Sunday are on a 2018 calendar, therefore season 5 and 6 of Schitt's Creek is presumably set during the summer of 2018.